SC - ALOSED BEEF

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 25 06:17:42 PDT 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> I am working on the recipe below.  Can someone please tell me how close I am
> to correct in the translation of it:
> Thanks Phillipa
>
> Take a layer of beef  (beef in strips?)
> Cut it into (lechys) ??
> Spread meat out on a board
> Take mutton or beef  fat, herbs & onions and mix it together.
> Spread mixture over top of the beef
> Sprinkle on ground pepper and a little salt
> Roll up the prepared beef
> Put the rolled up beef strips in a (broch?) roasting pot???
> Roast
>
> Take lyr of beef; cut hem in lechys. Lay hem abrode on a bord.
> Take the fatte of motyn, or of beef, herbys & onions hewyn togefyr,
> & strew hit on the leches of beef with poudyr of pepyr & a lytyl salt,
> & roll hit up therynne. Put hem on a broch; rost hem."

Lyr is flesh, i.e. boneless meat, as opposed to, say, a shin or knuckle
of veal.

Leches are slices.

A broch is a skewer or spit. (See modern French "brochette") This helps
keep the rolls closed, as well as allowing them to be roasted without
falling into the fire.

Adamantius, on the fly
- --
Phil & Susan Troy