SC - Free Bones for stock (was Alosed Beef)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 10:10:20 PDT 2000

- --- Jeff Gedney <JGedney at dictaphone.com> wrote:
The fat I get free at the
> supermarket, they
> just throw it away otherwise so they are happy to
> give it to me.
> I trim out the connective tissue and process
> everything lightly in the
> cuisinart.

Just a quick note along these lines, in case some of
you out there were not aware of this...

When you buy "boneless" meat at the supermarket, or
have the butcher de-bone the meat for you, you are
still paying for the bones.  In most areas, if you ask
the butcher to give you the bones, as well, they will.
 I used to do this all the time when I worked in a
restaurant where we made our own stock.  Most of the
time they were rib bones, chine bones or the like, and
not the BEST bones for stock, but they certainly
worked well enough FOR FREE.  Of course, the best
bones are those of young veal, particularly the
knuckle, but how often do you buy boneless veal
knuckle these days?

Balthazar of Blackmoor