SC - With a Curtsey to Their Majesties: An Introduction

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 26 09:17:09 PDT 2000

Good Gentles,
I thank you for the benefit of your fair company.   As requested I'm taking
the time to introduce myself (pray pardon my inconsistency in polite period
address.)  My name within the Society is Lady Celia des L'archier.  I am
originally from the former Barony (now Shire) of Glaedenfeld (Nashville,
TN) and now live under the aegis of the Barony of South Downs (Atlanta,
GA), both in the beautiful kingdom of Meridies.

I have been a member or participant in the SCA on and off since A.S. XVI,
but have been inactive for the last 8 years, since moving to South Downs in
A.S XXVII.  My last event was Pennsic 20, where I celebrated my honeymoon,
and I have missed the SCA often.  I have many interests in the SCA
including bardic arts, archery and, of course, medieval cookery.  The
activities which brought me to the attention of the barony for my baronial
service award and the crown for my AOA were mostly related to feastcratting
or serving in the kitchen, so I've been in the trenches quite a bit :-)

I've joined this list for several reasons, but the main two are that I am
currently actively researching feasts and feastdays throughout history, how
our holiday customs evolved and what the folklore is surrounding food in
certain cultures, specifically in Western Europe and the British Isles, and
this research has brought about my second reason for being here, which is a
renewed interest in becoming active in the SCA again and doing some actual
medieval cooking.  :-)  I know from experience that SCA cooks are often a
treasure trove of information and resources and I'm very excited and
honored to be able to participate in an exchange of information with such
esteemed colleagues.  I hope that I will be able to contribute to the list
at least a portion as much as I know that I will receive in benefit.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier