SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Sat Aug 26 10:31:55 PDT 2000

    One thing that you could offer that would sell like mad would be a field
lunch - basically a bag lunch for fighters to take with them onto the field.
Include a bottle of cider (or some natural juice), some cheese, a hard roll,
a hunk o' sausage, a piece of fruit, and perhaps a selection of pickled
veggies (especially olives - they're an incredible source of energy that
won't drop you like a rock after they're metabolized), and maybe a handful
of nuts or trail mix. No processed sugars that will spike your insulin, and
then leave you like a limp rag just as the battle reaches the critical
stage.
    Include things that you could take a quick bite of, and then stash for
later. Anything that would require a fighter to stop doing whatever he's
doing and eat sit down style probably wouldn't be as well received. Vary the
menu day by day; a meat pie one day, smoked fowl or beef the next, then some
sausage & biscuits, etc. Sell 'em for $5 a bag, and you could make a
fortune! Or perhaps just a stand that sells smoked jerky. I always have some
with me if I know I'm going to be fighting all day.
    Other things (non-cooking) that I'm surprised no one has done at Pennsic
are things like a shoe (or boot) shine stand. Scotchguard your shoes for a
buck? Five bucks if it's starting to rain? Another would be a sword wrapping
and repair station; re-tape your sword, have an assortment of thrusting tips
that can be quickly added, instant lanyards, clamps for emergency bellguard
re-attachment, etc. While you wait! Or perhaps a chainmail dry cleaning
booth (rent a concrete mixer, load it with sand and vinegar, toss in a
hauberk, roll it for 5 minutes, pull it out, shake it, and it'll gleam)
Things that would provide an immediate and distinct service while allowing
you to turn a tidy profit. You won't get rich, but it'll certainly pay for
the event!

    Sieggy

SCHNYPPE