SC - Double cream

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Aug 27 11:16:05 PDT 2000

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> You were making clotted cream, then, and not Double
> cream, right?  My suggestion was for reducing heavy
> cream in order to approximate the butterfat content of
> Double cream.

Another tactic I've used, that seems to work for me, is to heat the
cream and swirl very fresh, unsalted butter into it, in various
proportions for various uses. I find that this is slightly less likely
to give the cream a cooked taste than reducing it would, and you can
reduce the cooked taste still further by using a small amount of cream,
adding a lot of butter, stirring slowly as this mixture cools, then
adding more cream that hasn't been heated.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com