SC - Re: Making cheese

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 19:00:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/27/00 9:01:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Master A writes:

> I can certainly understand the desire to learn everything possible about
>  the overall process from period beginning to period end, but to forego
>  making cheese because you can't get raw milk straight from the udder is,
>  if I may coin an original phrase nobody here has _ever_ heard before,
>  letting the best be the enemy of the good.

I ahve to say that you are pointing out a very significant issue. I have been
mulling this around in my head for the last several hours. How much do I want
the cheese to be period down to the fresh cow's milk vs how much do I want to
make my own cheese. I have checked out some sites that offer cheese making
supplies etc, and did read about the chemical needed to turn pasteurized milk
into cheese. I was hoping not to have to go that route, but it may be
inevitable if I want to serve my own cheese.

The other issue was that I have always wanted to make my own sausage and was
hoping to do that as well for this feast. As such, these are two new skills
that I would be attempting. Maybe I would be best served (or the feasters
rather) to attempt one or the other. Some considerations have to be made for
time constraints and processing issues. I prefer to have a feast that is a
success than to "practice" my new skills out on the people partaking in this
event(even though I will do a trial or two before hand).

I am going to do a batch of cheese in small quantity using the pasteurized
milk. At that point I can better judge what to do for the feast.

Thanks Adamantius for pointing out what should be so obvious to me.

Hauviette