SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 29 06:03:36 PDT 2000

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Morgana Abbey wrote:
>
> > Remember, we wear modern underwear
>
> We do?

actually, many of us *ladies* do, out of necessity (especially those of us
most especially gifted) and until you are a lady dealing with a back ache
from *not* wearing "modern underware", perhaps it would be best not to
judges :-)

> > and contact lenses and
>
> Guilty. I know that at least one person here does this in a period
> manner (i.e. goes without glasses).

I can't wear contacts... an astigmatism which can't be properly corrected
even with gas permeable lenses.  and without my OOP glasses I can't tell my
own lord from another until he's within 12 feet of me, so another case
where the practical wins out over the authentic and I give in to being a
*creative anachronist*.  :-)

> > take our prescriptions.
>
> None needed. And I am working on my period first aid kit... No, I'm not
> insane, I just play one on the net.

hmmmm... I think that I'll stick to modern methods over penny royal and
counting calendar days since the last full moon, or going without conjugal
congress for the entire tourney season (+ a month or so), thanks :-)   and
we once had a diabetic member of our household... yet another case where I
feel that practical considerations justifiably supercede the desire for
authenticity and historic accuracy. there is, I hope that most will
conceed, a difference between not making an effort for authenticity simply
because it is inconvenient and acceding to practical considerations.  and I
hope that most of us would also  have the gracious nature not to disparage
those whose practical considerations might be different from our own.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier