SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Aug 28 11:27:06 PDT 2000

At 12:51 PM -0400 8/28/00, Jenne Heise wrote:
>  > And sallats are not a very common feature
>  > of medieval cooking
>
>Hm. Could you quantify that 'not very common'? Directions for making
>sallets and notes about ingredients for sallets do seem to show up enough
>to make one believe that they were among the food option during the
>appropriate months. I doubt they were as popular as 'white food' but are
>you saying that they were almost never eaten, or that they weren't eaten
>at every meal?

I don't have time at the moment to go through lots of sources, but
reading through the first five meals in Le Menagier I do not find any
mention of any salad or salad like dish. My casual impression is that
that is typical. Perhaps someone else has done a more careful
examination of the data.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/