SC - Health, medicines, etc.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Aug 29 13:23:01 PDT 2000

Phlip,

I suspect that you are right and that I have misunderstood the direction
or Ras' post. I don't think he misunderstood me though, as it was the
first comment I've made (unless he has a camera watching me scowling at
the screen!;-) I will be the first to admit that I am somewhat defensive
about medical problems, but I frequently need to be.

I understand the frustrations of the chirurgeons having to deal with
someone who doesn't take care of themselves, but I suspect (and am
thankful!) that those people are a slim percentage of the populace at
large. If we polled for anyone taking Rx medications, I think we would
be surprised (it may reflect on our modern society- it may not. Let's
not go there).

What started this converstion though- IIRC- was a remark about someone
*possibly* coming up to a food booth that exists only in our pointy
little heads, and *possibly* making disparaging remarks about the fare
or about the cooking utensils or about someone in less that
museum-quality garb leaning out the window with an order of food,
showing for all the world to see their glasses, their wristwatch, etc.
*ALL* of this in conjecture.

(BTW, one of the words used in the description of this picky person
begins with an N and is very bad in many circles- and I got to listen
the other night to an extended rant about what that word reeally means
and how some nasty person who criticizes your clothing will never hurt
you as the the N-folks did and why are we minimizing the atrocities by
comparing tham to such petty, silly things? Made we could retire the
word?)

But from the remark about the possibility of being criticized came this
whole line about glasses and contact lenses and medicine and so on, and
it didn't have anything to do with the food booth or realistically any
concerns about criticisms. Anyone that would criticize a food booth
because one of the servers wears glasses or a Medic-Aid bracelet is
petty and mean-spirited and a boor. And their opinion should be counted
as that of a crank. Why are we imagining up troubles for ourselves?

Why give so much energy to an imaginary rude person? Could we go back to
talking about food?

'Lainie
(who is off to get ready for an interview- wish me luck everyone!)