SC - artichokes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 30 06:37:23 PDT 2000

david friedman wrote:

> Jerusalem artichoke is the root of a sunflower
> ("Girasol"="Jerusalem"). The bud of a giant thistle, eaten a leaf at
> a time with melted butter or mayonaise, is artichoke--and is sold
> under that name in the U.S. Jerusalem artichoke, in my experience, is
> always sold under the full name.

Jerusalem artichokes are always, AFAIK, sold either with the adjective
"Jerusalem" or under the name "sunchokes", and never called simply
"artichokes". Unqualified artichokes are green and thistly-looking, and
are, well, artichokes. However, sometimes stores that sell both use the
qualifier of "globe artichokes" to distinguish them from "Jerusalem artichokes".

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com