SC - From His Grace Cariadoc ::::::]A ROAST OF MEAT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 30 13:32:09 PDT 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> Your Grace,
> Can you tell me please, why you have to cook the lamb seperately from the
> onions & garbanzos.  It would seem to me that the juices from the meat would
> give the other stuff such a lovely flavor that you couldn't really get by
> putting the meat in at the end.
> thank you
> Phillipa

Probably because if you follow the directions and use soaked, dry
chickpeas, the meat would disintegrate by the time the chickpeas were
done. Even if you soak them, dried chickpeas take a fairly substantial
cooking time, probably a minimum of 90 minutes in most cases. And when
the mutton is cut into 3/4 inch dice, well, it cooks pretty quickly.
There are some recipes that call for fresh legumes straight from the
pod, and these cook more quickly, but this recipe doesn't appear to call
for them.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you from adding any juices that
accumulate in your meat pan, and for serious yummers, this is probably
one of those dishes that responds very well indeed to reheating the next
day. There'd be some loss of that fresh coriander flavor and texture,
but the blending of the flavors would probably compensate.

Adamantius