SC - interesting URL - food shopping!

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Aug 30 15:24:14 PDT 2000

> I don't know how true it is that professional cooks outside of towns
> were guild members, but certainly cooks worked with other cooks and
> learned from them, and there's at least the theoretical possibility that
> a specific technique could be passed from one generation of cooks to
> another, just as parents pass recipes to children. Of course, there's no
> guarantee quantities have never been forgotten, changed or tweaked over
> the generations, either, especially when different numbers of people
> were being served each time.

And of course we get into the question of whether this applies to written
recipes-- if you had learned the recipe from someone else in your guild
training, why would you be looking it up in a written copy?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

" Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!" -- Kipling