Filo/phyllo-- was [Re: SC - duck and bread]

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Aug 30 21:31:48 PDT 2000

At 7:38 PM -0400 8/30/00, margali wrote:
>I got to thinking, soy beans were common, kept dried and soy flour is a good
>substitute for flour in non-gluten applications. If we sort of wing it and
>retranslate bean paste as ground beans, I will have to play around
>to see if it
>works but you might get a fairly respectable noodle from soy flour,
>egg whites and
>cream.

In modern oriental cooking, at least, bean paste is not soy
flour--it's a paste texture material made (I think) from fermented
beans, although I could easily be wrong. I think it would be worth
first trying to find out what the translator thinks the term means--I
gather some people here are in contact with someone involved in the
project. My first guess is that if he translated it as "bean paste"
he thinks it means bean paste. You also might check in "A Soup for
the Qan," since it is largely about Muslim/Chinese cuisine. Otherwise
you may end up inventing something clearly inconsistent with the
recipe.

The idea that this recipe is something like Baklava is pure
conjecture at this stage--and revising the recipe to make it fit the
conjecture is a good way of not finding out whether the conjecture is
true.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law