SC - Re: Period Foods for Kids

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Aug 31 13:53:34 PDT 2000

> However, it's inclusion is just as OP as the idea of a separate children's
> feast is. Rather, such separate service of children is likely period but the
> idea of a menu specially prepared for them is not, SFAIK.

Actually, from what I can determine, children were generally fed
separately, and their food was usually prepared by someone else, or
included food prepared by someone else, rather than sent up from the main
kitchen. Therefore, the food menu would probably be different. Whether
there were separate feasts or not on occasion for young children I don't
know, but I seep to recall references to special dinners for parties of
noble children to entertain royal chidlren on special occasions.

> incorporate that idea also along with children's feasts where the children
> are only allowed to sit on the floor or stand at the table.

Ras, the only place I have ever heard of this custom was in the elementary
school studies of American customs of colonial times. And I find it
doubtful that a less pathological culture than the puritans would have
considered feeding children standing up, rather than in a separate sitting
at bench and table, to be good huswifery, unless they were being fed
mouthfuls out of the bowls of the womenfolk and were zooming around the
rest of the time.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

" Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!" -- Kipling