SC - Seeking Cabbage Recipe

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 1 00:52:50 PST 2000

                 Scotts Cabbage (Sangster family cook book)
                           (Translation)

This makes enough for 4-6 persons.
1 large head cabbage
1/4 lb baccon cubed and browned
4 large leeks, sliced in medium slices white part only
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup verjuice or cider vinegar
1/2 cup water or white wine.
Salt if needed.

  Core cabbage, and cut in thick slices.
  Cook baccon in a medium heavy pan with a lid, untill browned.  Remove the
baccon bits.  Cook leeks and garlic in baccon drippings until wilted. Remove
when done.
  Layer cabbage, baccon bits, cooked leeks and garlic untill all are used.
Combine verjuice and wine or water. Pour over the layers and cover and cook
over medium low heat untill cabbage is tender.

  To serve drain and mix layers togather.  Reduce pan"juice" by half. tast
and add salt if neccessary.  Pour reduced "juice" over cabage etc.   Serve
with buttered bread crumbs sprinkled over the top.