SC - re: Border Wars in Ansteorra

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 07:15:53 PST 2000

- --part1_22.e78bb2d.27591785_boundary

In a message dated 12/1/00 12:05:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> The reason this type of food became
> widely available, at least in England, was that the invention of
> cheap vegetable oils meant they could afford it. It was a cheap food
> that could be gotten off the streets in a time of packed tenement
> blocks with little in the way of kitchens.

I don't know whether or not the fish and chip shops had started using
vegetable oil or not, but, I remember that until the late sixties or so, we
always made our chips at home in lard (and in a really small kitchen) as did
most people I knew, and we ate chips regularly at home.

It wasn't until the "health conscious - low fat" ads started coming out on
the TV that we thought we probably should switch to something "more healthy"
and started using vegetable oil.  The other thing we used to fry with was
beef dripping, which was available by the pound from the grocery and butcher
shops.

I don't even remember any vegetable oil products being used in our house
before the late 60's with the exception of Margarine, and that was only
because my father didn't like butter.

Elysant

- --part1_22.e78bb2d.27591785_boundary