SC - flour, sugar and fat in the medieval diet?

Fri Dec 1 08:03:54 PST 2000

Good My Lord Stefan wrote:

> Since you want to do a documentable feast and since you were protesting
> other non-medieval foods, I think you really want something else.
>
> Pots of stew or pottage don't take that much care, although you'll
> need to cook them longer. They do seem to work well at primitive
> sites though.
> stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
>
> The same comments also applies to most soups:
> soup-msg          (92K) 10/18/00    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
> events.
>                                        recipes.

Please allow me to add my agreement and a suggestion.

 I've found that stews and soups taste better if the flavors are allowed
time to blend. By this, I mean that the stew or soup is not eaten the same
day it's prepared. I would recommend, if you have the time and space
necessary, that you make up the stews or soups a day or two in advance, and
keep them refrigerated until you need them.  Alternatively, you could make
the dishes up and freeze them.

The point is, that you've already done the cooking when you get to the site
and all you have to do is warm things up to the right temperature. This
saved my *** when I did a feast at a very primitive site.

Your humble servant,
Rosalyn MacGregor
(Pattie Rayl)