WAY OT: Happy fun sauce (Was Re: SC - Hot sauces)

Steven Weidner bigsteve at nycap.rr.com
Sat Dec 2 11:08:00 PST 2000

Stefan asks:
> Sorting and washing rice?? What does this do and how and when should
> you do this? Do you sort by color or size or what?

sorting rice entails going through your grains very carefully to remove any
stones or broken/damaged/discoloured grains.  every grain of rice should be
perfect and white.

to wash the rice you very gently rinse in it 5-7 changes of warm water.  you
must be very careful as the rice will break easily at this stage, but this
removes any talc the rice may have been coated with,along with some of the
natural starch in the rice so that your rice will not stick, but come out
perfectly all light & fluffy & delicate & mmmm I'm all hungry now, too  bad
no-one will delever Persian food for breakfast!

It takes a fair amount of time to prepare the rice properly depending on how
much you're making, but it's worth it for the end product.  especially if
you make a nice crunchy tah dig on the bottom of the pot while you're at it.
Eden

WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com