SC - Re: Boxing Day Recipes

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Sat Dec 2 18:21:14 PST 2000

Somebody asked:

<<
 >Anyone have any stat on how much lard you get off of one pig if it hasn't
 >been raised in the modern fashion, on kitchen scraps? >>

The pigs we butchered were usually around 250-500 lbs, and rendered anywhere
from 30 to 50 lbs of lard per animal.  Lard production didn't seem to depend
so much upon whether they were fed a stictly "scientific" diet or if we
supplemented it with kitchen scraps as it did upon the season.  However, our
household of six adults and various and sundry children did not produce
enough kitchen scraps to feed a pig.  We always had to supplement it with
grazing and grain in the summer and hay and grain in the winter.  We also fed
the pigs surplus milk from the dairy.  I suspect it was the same in medieval
times.  A larger household would produce more scraps, but require more pork.

Mordonna the ex-farm wife