SC - Help! Cabbage! Cakes!

WyteRayven@aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 07:27:48 PST 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie

Kiri sez re: the yummy sounding chocolate creme recipe....
At 04:24 PM 12/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
>OoooooooThank you, Thank you, Thank you!  I've got a copy of that book, but
>hadn't noticed that one!  Hmmmmmmm.........I'll have to try this one day
on all
>those who swear it isn't period!

sorry to be such a poophead, but in all fairness you have to be certain
that THAT recipe is actually one of the 1604 ones, ie the first ones that
Lady Elynor put in the book. the note that Cindy R adds points out that a
number of the recipes are actually from the late 1600s or even early 1700s,
not even close to SCA time period by anyoens definition.

>"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:
>
>> "To make Chocolate Cream.
>> Take a Quart of cream, 3 ounces of Chocolate grated, boyle it well together
>> & let it stand till tis cold, & them put in ye whies of 6 Eggs beaten to a
>> Froth & sweeten it to your Taste, and then mill it up."
>> >From The Complete Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fetiplace, 1604. Rpt.
Stuart
>> Press, Bristol, 1999, vol 3, p. 38.
>>
>> >From the introductory note:
>> "Lady Elynor apparently started the book in 1604 and bequeathed it to her
>> niece Ann Poole in 1647.  A number of recipes were added latter [sic] in
>> other hands probably from the late 17th or early 18th centuries..."

Now, there's nothing in those incorporating documents that says anything
about food, so you can cook whatever you please, but please do me a favor
and dont say it "period" without specifying which period! :)

- --AM, who is a proud and self proclaimed period nut but is very partial to
17th century food :)