SC - Toad in the Hole

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Dec 4 08:55:28 PST 2000

This is not very far off of my signature Chocolate Silk, which uses
butter instead of cream and more chocolate of course.

Here is my version, as a little ChrisMoose present to all of you:

SELENE’S DREADED CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

1 cup butter [unsalted, 2 sticks, room temperature]
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 oz. chocolate [unsweetened, melted]
1 tsp. vanilla [or another flavor - mint, orange, brandy, etc?]
4 eggs

Cream butter and sugar, mix in chocolate and vanilla.

Using a mixer set to high, blend in the eggs, taking five full minutes
to incorporate each egg.  Don’t skimp, this is the secret of the
texture.

Turn into a baked pie crust or a bunch of little serving cups.

Chill and devour!

Selene

- -=-=-=-=-
Period version:

"To make Chocolate Cream.
Take a Quart of cream, 3 ounces of Chocolate grated, boyle it well
together
& let it stand till tis cold, & them put in ye whies of 6 Eggs beaten to
Froth & sweeten it to your Taste, and then mill it up."
>From The Complete Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fetiplace, 1604. Rpt.
Stuart
Press, Bristol, 1999, vol 3, p. 38.

>From the introductory note:
"Lady Elynor apparently started the book in 1604 and bequeathed it to
her
niece Ann Poole in 1647.  A number of recipes were added latter [sic] in

other hands probably from the late 17th or early 18th centuries..."