SC - Spotted Dick/Spotted Dog

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Dec 5 21:31:21 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 5 Dec 00, , that E. Rain wrote:

> back in May we had a discussion of Hordiate/Orchata recipes and it was
> mentioend that there were versions of this recipe in the Sent Sovi
>
> >(#97 and #98 on p.  128-130 and #30 in fragment V on p. 223 in Grewe's
> edition).
>
> does anyone have these already translated into English by chance?

I don't know how much you were able to figure, and as I said
before, I don't actually *read* Catalan, and therefore can't
*translate* it, but here are paraphrases...

Recipe #97 is made of barley flour.  Strain it through a thin napkin
with thin almond milk, then set it to cook.  When it is cooked and
thickened, taste it for salt.  If the person for whom it is being
cooked does not have a fever, you can add white sugar (ordiat is
generally an invalid dish).  If it's being served to someone who is
not sick, and you don't want to add sugar, you can add honey if
you wish.

Recipe #98 is made of pearled barley cooked in a thin almond milk.
 When the grains have cooked enough that they have burst, press
them between two chopping boards, and then put them back in the
almond milk to cook as in the other recipe.  And add sugar as
previously said.

Recipe 30 from fragment V: the pearled barley is boiled
(presumably in water), then chopped in a morter.  Then it's thinned
with with almond milk, strained through a thick napkin, and set to
cook as said above.  All ordiat should have white sugar put in it.

Hope this is of some help.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann