SC - olives in period spanish recipes?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Dec 5 22:34:18 PST 2000

Iasmin de Cordoba commented:
> It works rather well. Honey in general has some amazing properties to
> it that were rather thoroughly exploited in the time periods we study
> and even before. Several good books exist that cover the subject as
> well. One is "Honey, Mud, Maggots and Other Medical Marvels" by the
> authors Root-Bernstein. Another really good book is "The Healing
> Hand: Man and Wound in the Ancient World" by Guido Majno.
>
> I reviewed the later at Amazon and have read both extensively. The
> Root-Bernsteins are good scholars in my mind, though their Honey book
> is geared far more toward the casual reader. For scholars and
> researchers looking for speicif references, you'll have to look
> elsewhere. They didn't write the book to be used as a source text,
> more they wrote it for the popular market (and it works surprisingly
> well for that). A comfy read, I would say. Majno's work is more for
> the scholar.

I have to second Iasmin's comments on "Honey, Mud, Maggots and Other
Medical Marvels". I bought this book at Pennsic and found it very
interesting and enlightening. While you might expect such a book to
be very anti-modern medical technology, it doesn't come across that
way. While showing where modern medicine might improve it's study
of some of the older medical methods, and is often doing so, it also
points to where some of these older methods may have worked in the
past, but modern techniques have proven to have a more consistant
success rate. I thought it gave a fairly balanced review of things.

Thanks for the pointer to this other book, Iasmin. I'll have to
see if I can find it at a reasonable price.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net