SC - Well you were so much help with the other...

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Thu Dec 7 00:29:07 PST 2000

Anahita said:
> And FINALLY: Americans often think local food is weird or unsafe to
> eat, and an American eatery is familiar territory and give them the
> illusion the food is safe.

Hmm. Well illusion might be right. On one of two three week vacations to
the interior of Mexico with my family (some thirty-mumble> years ago we
spent some of the time in Mexico City. While there we got sick. It was
probably from the well water in the campground. The American ex-pat who
ran it said it was filtered and safe. Or it was from the water in the
Pizza Inn. Those were the only places we drank other than bottled water.

I still remember the wonderful smell of the tacos being cooked up on
the outside grills on the street corners. We were concerned enough about
how the lettuce and tomatoes had been washed to avoid them, though.

Then again, there were also the village butcher shops with all the flies
buzzing around the pig carcasses in the window cases.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net