Steamed Pudding Recipes - long (OOP) was Re: SC - Spotted Dick/Spotted Dog

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 09:35:19 PST 2000

>Sago is a type of palm.  I ran into it in Papua New Guinea when I
>lived there several few
>years ago.  In this case, the flour that is made from the core of
>the trunk is what is
>needed, and I haven't a clue as to where you can get it in the US.
>
>Kiri
>
>Olwen the Odd wrote:
>>  Oh thank you for the recipes.  You are so kind.  I brought out the steamer
>>  mold last night in hopes of starting up some nice puddings. I seem to be
>>  unfamiliar with sago.  What would that be?  I am getting so excited.
>>
>>  Hope you got well rested after what sounds like a long and straining day.
>  > Olwen

It is tapioca. Tapioca is made of sago. Tapioca comes in a number of
sizes, from the tiny kind typical in the US, to large ones the size
of pearls used in Southeast Asia. It may well be the latter the
recipe calls for, since it says to soak them overnight, which you
don't need to do with the tiny US kind.

Anahita