Steamed Pudding Recipes - long (OOP) was Re: SC - Spotted Dick/Spotted Dog

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:37:57 PST 2000

Selene wrote:
>Tapioca pearls in milky sweet tea have been a chic soft drink in
>Japan and elsewhere in
>Asia for a couple of years now, they call it Bubble Tea.

Around here - Berkeley - it's called "Pearl Tea".

Tapioca in beverages has a moderately long history in South and
Southeast Asia. I used to get it off push carts in Indonesia - you
could choose what sorts of weird gelatinous thingies floating in
frighteningly brightly colored sugar syrup. You could get little baby
coconut things, sold in Philippino stores as "coconut sport" -
jellied sea grass, which you can get in Chinese stores, etc.

>Or the mini-version of Versailles in the food court, love that garlicky Cuban
>chicken!]

I hate you! I hate you! I used to eat regularly at Versailles when i
live in LA. Although i'd occasionally go to "Miami Spice" in Santa
Monica for great Cuban sandwiches. I haven't found anything like it
around here, the SF Bay Area.

Anahita