SC - period frog recipes?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Dec 7 23:44:40 PST 2000

Olwen commented:
> Well.  I'm glad we didn't lose the Spotted Dog on the subject line.  That
> came from Toad in the Hole.  Now we can add Frog's Eggs.  As a child my mom
> used to make tapioca in a fish shaped mold and tell us it was fish eggs.

Yuck...I think. Gee and you could use real fish eggs and it would
probably
be much closer to period. :-)

We did have a discussion a while back about period frog leg recipes, but
while they were apparently mentioned in two books, no one was able to
give any period recipes for them.

> I'm aware of references to frogs as food in Le Menagier de Paris, and in
> Platina's De Honesta Voluptate. The former, IIRC, gives instructions on
> gigging for frogs, but gives no recipe, as far as I recall, while the
> latter talks about the medical aspects of eating them, and also, IIRC,
> gives no recipe.
>
> Adamantius

This is from my exotic-meats-msg file. Does anyone have any actual period
recipes for frog or frog legs? Thomas?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net