Steamed Pudding Recipes - long (OOP) was Re: SC - Spotted Dick/Spotted Dog

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 9 17:22:59 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/7/00 2:58:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< While Indonesians may use sago and tapioca interchangeably, after a little
 quick research, I am certain they know the difference in origins between the
 two starches.

I remember the question of this substitution coming up years ago when I first
came the the US.  I remember being told then that even though they were not
the same thing,  to read "Tapioca" for "Sago" when making what I was calling
a Sago milk pudding (similar to a rice pudding).   I don't know how it would
affect a steamed pudding to substitute one for the other though.  The Sago I
remember looked much the same as Tapioca does.

Elysant