SC - Jorvik

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Dec 10 09:45:29 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 10 Dec 00, , that grizly at mindspring.com wrote:

> A couple of recipes in The Original Meiterranean Cuisine and
> another one I cannot put a name to right now call for botha sweet
> and sour pomegranates.  We may have hit upon the two varieties
> Mentioned.
>
> niccolo

I don't know.  Period sources actually refer to three kinds of
pomegranates: sweet, sour, and sweet-sour ("agradulces").  The
_Obra de Agricultura_ has a chapter on pomegranates, but says
nothing about differences in color, only that they are classified by
flavor.

Nola has many recipes that call for pomegranates and
pomegranate juice, and he also identifies them by the three flavor
categories.  The only exception is this one recipe for cameline
sauce, which says to take "granadas albares" which are white
pomegranates.  If 16th century pomegranates had the same
characteristics as the modern ones, perhaps this would be a sub-
category of sweet pomegranates -- extra-sweet.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net