SC - Food for the Grieving

LadyEbonSwan@aol.com LadyEbonSwan at aol.com
Sun Dec 10 11:56:51 PST 2000

Blatantly OOP, but very tasty, and quick and easy to make.  This
was an experiment, altered from a recipe for peanut brittle.

Microwave Maple Walnut Brittle

1 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup broken walnut meats
1 tsp. butter or nut oil
1 tsp. rum-flavored extract
1 tsp. baking soda

Butter or grease a cookie sheet and set it aside.

Combine sugar, maple syrup, and salt in a deep microwave-safe
bowl or casserole (1-1/2 to 2 quarts).  Microwave, uncovered, on
High for 4 minutes.

Stir mixture, and microwave on High for 4 more minutes.

Add butter or oil, extract, and walnuts.  Stir.

Microwave for 2 more minutes.

Stir in baking soda.  Mixture will foam up violently.  Quickly pour
mixture onto greased cookie sheet.  Try to spread it thinly.

Let cool.  When cool and firm, break into pieces and store in a
tightly closed container.

Notes: I used almond oil in the mixture and to grease the sheet.
You MUST use 100% real maple syrup, not pancake syrup, but it
doesn't have to be the high-quality stuff.  I used a cheap grade of
syrup I got at Costco.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann