SC - Pigs-Lard production/usage

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Sun Dec 10 15:11:43 PST 2000

Daniel said...

> We just had a smallish local event down here in Sea March, Trimaris.  As
an
> experiment I sent out for sampling  sekanjabin, lemon, lime, and sour
orange
> syrups with a pitcher of water, a bowl of ice and the invitation for
anyone
> to try them.

We did this yesterday at our Wassail here in Caldrithig. I set out a Lemon &
Ginger syrup, a sekanjabin, a lime, and a mulled cider. The lime and the
cider went fast but I must admit that my co-horts mulled wine went much
faster! :)

I have found that Sekanjabin is not really popular here in Ealdormere. Not
too sure why (although I myself have an abhorant dislike to anything mint -
including toothpaste (I use cinnamon and anise).

> adding water to the sour orange syrup people though the drink tasted like
> tangerine.  I didn't do a pomegranate syrup as they were quite dear.

Even though they are in season (imported) right now, I agree. So I use the
Pomegranate syrup you can usually purchase at any middle eastern grocery. A
somewhat poor alternative imo, but an alternative nonetheless.

> Additionally, while it seems obvious in hindsight, people probably
shouldn't
> drink these out of metal such as modern pewter.  I did so and the result
had
> an off flavor which was not present when drinking them out of a glass
> container.

I make a lemon syrup that I add to thawing water and drink consistantly at
camping events (it frequently hits 49c with the humidex here) and I have a
pewter goblet that I normally drink out of. Either I have got used to the
taste or it isnt present in my mug?

Micaylah