SC - kosher chinese

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 12 14:32:03 PST 2000

At a time t1 noone on this list had a pre-1600 recipe for frogs, only 2
pointers to the Menagier and Platina. Stefan asked (me) if there were
such recipes.

Within a certain time span up to a time t2, David posted an English
translation of the Menagier recipe, and I sent two posts with:
- -- the additional original text of the Menagier recipe
- -- the English text of the Platina recipe
- -- an English description of a 15th century picture with
   fishsellers selling frogs
- -- the original text of a kind of preparation by Gessner 1563,
   together with an English translation
- -- the assertion that there are 16 further recipes in Rumpolt
   and de Rontzier; a characterization of five of the
   de Rontzier recipes as kind of "hidden frog"-recipes and the
   original ("untranslated") text of the 16 recipes

In my opinion, the content of the two medium sized posts could be called
a small "progress" from t1 to t2. I did not request for a translation
because _I_ did not need one! Digging up this information took me about
2 1/2 hours and I did not post a translation myself because at times I
have other things to do, too.

Let us stop this thread now. Clearly, I will follow the new directions
in the future and either provide translations or not post recipes at
all.

Cheers, Th.