SC - Period pig info

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Dec 12 18:08:31 PST 2000

I don't know if my opinion counts here (since I'm both non-SCA and
non-native English speaker) but to me, recipes are of interest even if (and
sometimes especially if) they are in a language I only understand a
smattering of. Such a recipe, old or modern, can be a rewarding challenge
and great fun to work out ... of course they can be extremely irritating
also, but that´s a part of the challenge.

I've been known to buy cookbooks in languages I don't understand a word of
(my Polish and Romanian cookbooks come to mind - actually I think I can
manage some recipes in the Romanian books eventually) and I even subscribe
to a Hungarian cooking magazine. In Hungarian. Yes, I know, I´m crazy. But I
already understand much of the ingredients lists in the recipes, and as soon
as I have cooked three or four recipes successfully, I´ll add Hungarian and
Romanian to my list of "languages I´ve cooked from" (there are 12 languages
on that list already, and no, I only speak about half of them, badly in most
cases). Might even get around to Lower Slovakian eventually ...

Seriously, of course this is an English language list and we all respect
that. But this is also a list to aid research and provide resources (or
that's how I´ve seen it). I wouldn't post recipes in Old Icelandic without
providing a translation because I'm probably the only one who would
understand them. I think the situation is a little different with German
recipes - besides Thomas, I at least can understand them, more or less, and
probably a couple of others on the list. So I´m all for them.

Nanna