SC - Ann Hagen's footnotes on Anglo-Saxon pigs

harper@idt.net harper at idt.net
Wed Dec 13 06:37:19 PST 2000

Daniel Raoul gave a wonderful, short history of the coconut and then
said:
> I've seen pictures of 16th century footed goblets the bowl of which was a
> polished coconut.  For further information on this and other nuts check out
> "The Book of Edible Nuts" by Fredrick Rosengarten, Jr.  I have a signed
> copy, it's a great book.

Thank you for this info and referance. Would this be a good book on use
of nuts in Medieval Europe? Or is it more oriented toward modern times?

Folks, if you were looking for information in the Florilegium on coconuts,
where would you look? I was going to put this recent coconut info in the
fruits-msg file, but now I'm thinking that the nuts-msg file might be
better. But I've been thinking of "nuts" as walnuts, almonds, acorns, etc.
Not something juicy.

In biology or agriculture where are coconuts placed? Are they considered
fruits?, nuts? or something else?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net