SC - Toad in the Hole

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 12:59:08 PST 2000

> > Ok, so I wasn't following this. Is this Christmas Pudding a period recipe?
> I would be very surprised it is.  I should have put the OOP tag on it,

That's ok, I just stumbled across it.

> I posted these recipes because Olwen had asked for some steamed pudding
> recipes.  Apart from anything else, I have a feeling that allspice is a New
> World berry, although I could be wrong - I didn't check out the history in
> my search.

Yup. The Encyclopedia Britannica says the first documented import of
allspice berries was in 1603, and I was curious if there was an earlier
reference, especially because the CA on Cosmetics claims that vanilla and
allspice were period perfume scents. (Vanilla was imported in period,
apparently, but I have doubts about it being used as a scent...)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to
get its pants on. " - Sir Winston Churchill