non-member submission - Re: SC - Cider Sauce Experiments

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Dec 13 15:08:06 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/13/00 2:57:23 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

> Why would anybody want to ban the Harry Potter books? They are charming
>  [i even have all 4 as e-books in my computer so I don't have to fight
>  for them with my lord husband;-)  ]
>  back to food content:
>  Don't you just love the descriptions of the various dinners, the way the
>  empty tables have the 'groaning board' appear? And I love the
>  descriptions of the funny wizardly candies! chocolate frogs with wizard
>  trading cards beat mallomars all hollow!
>  margali

Well, from what I can understand about the upset, the christian community
feels that having books where the lead characters are outright practicing
sorcerey is an abomination; the writer's guilds think that the books
shouldn't be considered "serious" fiction (I saw one report where the
gentleman writer made the comment that it wasn't like she was Dickens or
anything....). I think both comments are ludicrious. Personally, I've read
the books and am quite "entrenched" in the whole Harry Potter universe. My
son, who **never** reads, picked up the first book and didn't put it down
till he was finished. He read straight through two whole days. Anything that
gets kids reading again and away from game boy is wonderful.

As for the food content, well, yes, I adore the descriptions. They have
already come out with All Flavor Beans (although I doubt if it will have some
of the more vile versions) in the candy world. I personally like the idea of
the owl post, myself. No need to know an address, just a person's name. How
wonderful for those of us who keep losing their address books.

Lars