SC - Off Topic: Muggles for Harry Potter

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 13 18:19:43 PST 2000

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> --- margali <margali at 99main.com> wrote:
> > ?
> > I always thought toad in a hole were cooked sausages
> > in a pan that have
> > had a batter poured over them and then baked...
> > margali
>
> Yes...that is exactly what Toad in the Hole is.  There
> was some confusion on the list earlier, but I think
> everyone has been enlightened now.

I had understood that TITH was originally leftover meat hashed or
shredded with gravy, cooked as above, with, specifically, the batter for
Yorkshire pudding baked thereon, and that sausage was a commonly used
modern variant. Mrs. Beeton's version calls for steak and kidney, actually.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com