SC - Venison Suppliers?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Dec 13 21:04:44 PST 2000

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> > I had understood that TITH was originally leftover
> > meat hashed or
> > shredded with gravy, cooked as above, with,
> > specifically, the batter for
> > Yorkshire pudding baked thereon, and that sausage
> > was a commonly used
> > modern variant. Mrs. Beeton's version calls for
> > steak and kidney, actually.
>
> Correct.  Were we discussing the original dish or the
> more common modern version?  I came in on the topic
> when we were talking about toast with an egg in the
> center of it.  If I missed the historical reference to
> the topic, I appologize.

What I mentioned wasn't especially intended to maintain a historical
theme of conversation. Rather, I mentioned a version of what may be the
Ur-dish, or something like it, to add to an overall discussion of what
the dish _is_. It's true that there are almost certainly people who
aren't aware of TITH made with anything but sausage, but then there are
also people who are under the impression that macaroni and cheese is
something made with a packet of pasta and a packet of yellow powder,
sold together in a box. An argument to the effect that that is what the
dish is now would be kind of limiting, wouldn't it?

> I have two early versions of Toad in the Hole.  One
> does use a batter very similar to Yorkshire pudding
> (pan drippings being the most prevailant liquid),
> while the other uses a milk based batter with nutmeg
> and onion stirred in.  As an aside, the Yorkshire
> style recipe calls for a mixture of organ meats to be
> added to the shredded meat, including heart, liver and
> sweetbreads, I believe.  The other recipe makes no
> mention of organ meats or offal.

I'm sure there are a bazillion different versions. Is there really one
in which pan drippings outmass milk? I know pan drippings appear
frequently, but as a primary batter ingredient, that I haven't seen.
This is not an area of specialization for me, though.

As far as I know, though, the egg-and-toast thing is called TITH by
Americans, although my own experience is with calling it either a
Hole-In-One, or Gas House Eggs...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy