SC - regional american food

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Thu Dec 14 15:13:17 PST 2000

Evidently, maraschino cherries are a regional food.  Here in Caid, I can
only find a tiny 10-oz bottle on the liquor aisle at the grocery store for
$4.  Back home in Atlantia, I could get a pound jar from the same shelf as
the fruitcake fruit for about the same cost.  And I need at least that much
for my Christmas baking.  I guess I can use glaceed cherries.  Or dried
cherries.

*Sigh*

I was having a real bad ingredient hunting day yesterday.  First, every
grocery in town for the non-existent cherries (I'm not paying that price for
the amount I need.)  Then, I went all over northern Orange county looking
for cardamom pods.  Back home, at least 5 different places sold a large
variety of spices by weight, 3 within walking distance of home, and 2 within
walking distance of my office.  Here, the only place I could find it here
was Wholefoods--whose bulk spice selection is nothing like at home.  And it
was the kind already out of the pod, but I wanted pods.

And my computer at home is still down.

Bonne
(from Tony's office)