SC - Off Topic: Muggles for Harry Potter

Gerekr@aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 13:14:52 PST 2000

harper at idt.net wrote:

> Does anyone know, in a period Spanish candy recipe, what it
> means to heat the sugar to "al punto"?  Does that refer to a
> specific temperature or just to "the point" of readiness (and the
> cook is expected to know what that is)?  Also, is there a modern
> Spanish candy with a name like "diagargante"?

The word flits round the kitchens of the known world: "Adamantius is
once again displaying his amazing ignorance of the Spanish language!"

It may be just to "the point" of doneness (the expression "a point" is
still used in French culinary terminology to express that something is
perfectly cooked).

Any chance it is a reference to a bridge (as in Ponto Vecchio)? Meaning,
some reference to spinning a stiff thread? Colloquialisms can be the
enemy of the translator at times like this...

I'm assuming that it has nothing to do with cooking the stuff until it
is fit to be kicked high and far away, or for that matter, until it is
fit to be thrown in the Thames.

> Brighid, off to brave the malls...

Raggum Fraggum. Mauls is more like it.

G. Tacitus ("Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?") Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com