SC - regional american food

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 17 11:41:23 PST 2000

> >We have a reference from a book on the web, that points to another book
> >which allegedly claims that 'cheddar' cheese was first mentioned in 1500.
> >Without going and getting the reference, we cannot know whether the
> >original author's reference is to cheese produced at Cheddar, or to the
> >cheddaring process, or something else!

*sigh* Unfortunately, _Cheesemaking Practice_ simply presents the list:
"There are many references in literature to names of cheese varieties
known today, but it is essential to recognize that many cheese have
changed in character over a period of years. A list of some of the names
with the date first noted is given..."

The footnotes aren't very helpful, but I think the odds are that following
them up probably wouldn't have given us anything more, as he does discuss
the Cheddaring process and doesn't seem to have a reference before 1899
for it.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"