SC - flaming ovens

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Tue Dec 19 05:22:39 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Oh? No ice in the cola? I've heard that it is difficult to get iced tea
> in England. Any comments from those who are there or have visited? So,
> is putting ice chunks or cubes in beverages not done in Europe? What
> about cooling beverages in general? Is beer served cold?

As a general rule, and with some exceptions such as parts of the Far
East, Latin America, etc., iced or chilled drinks are considered a
quaint American bit of weirdness. Considering that very cold foods or
drinks are probably considered by some of the more old-fashioned medical
community (and maybe not so old-fashioned at that) as being harmful to
the digestion and health in general, as well as the fact that cold tends
to desensitize the taste buds, it makes at least a fair amount of sense
to think that.

Adamantius, who prefers cola cold _because_ it deadens the taste buds
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com