SC - cold drinks

Sunraven shoshanah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 19 11:57:17 PST 2000

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> <snippage of much commentary>
>
> > Later, I learned that the chef had provided the lucky eight SCAdians
> > with a perfectly delicious modern meal, that everything had gone
> > well and people had had a good time, they got to be on television, and
> > they weren't asked to fight heavy-weapons or fence in the dining room.
>
>         Actually, they did bang some metal swords around, in a very theatrical,
> noise-making way.  Certainly not combat, but they did get it in.

Aw, jeez!

> > asked by new people and at demos if they have the recipe for the lovey
> > duck pate that they saw on FoodTV Network.
>
>         Actually, it was venison terrine.

I see. I confess I don't recall the menu very closely, but remember
thinking it didn't especially resemble a medieval feast, either in form,
concept, or execution.

> > It's true that it needed to be said that the guest couple were not
> > SCAdians,
>
>         Ok, here is where we diverge.  The program may have been wrong, but the
> guest couple was introduced as members of the SCA, they had garb, they
> talked about re-creating the middle ages, they showed the inside of their
> home with normal SCA dreck, and put their SCA names on-screen.  I might
> be delusional, and nothing against these folks, but that was the
> information put forth on the show.

Or they might have been simply Middle Ages nuts looking for something
like the SCA to play with. Again, I think I've demonstrated that there
was a lot the production guy I spoke to did not mention to me. They may
have been SCAdians, but the guy didn't mention it, and it occurs to me
to ask why, if they _were_ SCAdians, they didn't try to arrange for the
fulfillment of this "fantasy" with their local group. Which, I suppose,
is more or less what you were wondering. It's just that i didn;t have
the benefit of any info that they were members of the SCA.

> >As I say,  I suspect that those being critical will remember now that
> the
> > production we previously discussed and this one are the same, and that
> the
> > enthusiastic SCAdians who were involved were not to blame for the
> > unique flavor of this particular reenactment.
> >
> > Adamantius
>
>         I am not memory impared (ok, not *this* time!) and do remember all of
> the previous discussion.  I certainly do not assign "blame" for the
> flavor of the show, it was what it was.
> It wasn't our (collective/SCACooks/perfect) Food Fantasy, but it was
> cute.
> Christianna

Actually, I wasn't specifically referring to you, as I wasn't sure who
the lady who posted in defense of SCAdian involvement was referring to
as being critical. Rather, I simply wanted to address a scenario where
people would be critical, and why that might be so.

> geeze, did anybody else actually *SEE* the show besides me?

Not me! I've seen the photos online, read the menu (if not rememered it
accurately), and had a sufficiently difficult time in dealing with the
production company researcher that I wouldn't go too far out of my way
to get a copy of it when I don't get FoodTV. Besides, I'm too busy
criticizing all the Satanism in the Harry Potter books.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com