SC - Taillevent bio

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Dec 21 07:38:23 PST 2000

This was a discussion that the BoD had some time ago...4 or 5 years, if memory
serves.  At that time, the proposal was to do away with the titles of
Mistress/Master for Laurels and Pelicans, and have Knights of the Laurel, Knights
of the Pelican, etc.  We would have been entitled to use Sir or Dame, wear a chain
to represent our fealty to the Crowns.  The current regalia of the Order of
Chivalry (White belt and Spurs) would remain exclusive to that Order.
Unfortunately, the only piece of this that made it through was to allow women to
be called "Dame".  The Knights were concerned that it would somehow take away from
their status if we all used the same titles and wore chains.  (At least that's
what the members of the Chivalry said in Atlantia).  We were pretty bummed about
it...after all, Master and Mistress were not peerage titles in period and it would
be nice to have a period title to use.

I hope I haven't offended any of our number who are Knights, but I wanted to pass
this on.

Kiri (looking for the rock so she can dodge the slings and arrows coming her way)