SC - Treacle?

LadyEbonSwan@aol.com LadyEbonSwan at aol.com
Thu Dec 21 19:48:20 PST 2000

I got a question today about whether I knew of any place in New Jersey (NJ)
that carried Zampone. I had to ask back what "Zampone" was. Here is his
reply:

>      Zampone is a stuffed pig's leg (trotter) served on New's Year Eve or
> New's Year Day.  It is served on a bed of lentils with the lentils
> representing wealth (money) and the leg symbolizes the richness of life in
> the coming year .  It is tough to find Italian deli's in NJ that carry it,
> much less know what it is.  It is usually imported and vacuumed sealed.
> There is no bone.  You boil it first, then may elect to bake it just to add
> color to the skin.  You then serve it sliced on a bed of lentils.  Yes, I
> know; probably more than you need to know :)
>
>      Anyway, I was hoping to find a butcher or deli in NJ that carries it.  I
> guess I could find it in NY.  Ugh, I do not like the prospect of the traffic.
>
> Thank you,
>      Nick

So, can anyone provide an answer to him? He is not on this list, so please
copy him with any replies. His email is: BoccieBoy at aol.com  .At this time
I do not know whether he is closer to Philadelphia or NYC.

I would also be interested in any more details that folks have on this
dish.
Any evidence whether this dish is period? Nothing strikes me right off
as
being non-period, and boiling it and then baking it would seem to be a
period
cooking technique.

Thanks.
   Stefan