SC - Bread question--OOP, but yummy

Fri Dec 22 21:05:31 PST 2000

There's a local cafe here in town (great place--part coffee house, part
billiards parlor, couches for reading, wonderful food) that serves these
incredible sandwiches for lunches--the fillings vary daily, but they're
always served on some sort of bread called "panini." The sandwiches are
grilled, so I don't know how much of the "crunch" is the bread, and how
much, the cooking method.  It's a flat bread, not as flat as, oh, say,
pita, more along the lines of a pita-sized bread you could use to make a
muffaleta (pardon the possible bad spelling).  I've never seen the bread
anywhere else, but would love to find out more about it (like, recipes
<g>).  Do any of you connisseurs and professional food types have any
idea about this bread?
- --Maire