SC - What would you do?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Sun Dec 24 03:43:00 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/23/00 1:41:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> stefan at texas.net writes:
>
> << Pectin may have been one of them.  >>
>
> This would be surprising. Seville oranges contain enough pectin naturally to
> gel nicely without additional pectin being added. My marmalade  turned out
> perfect with no added pectin.

I'm sure it did, which establishes that _any_ thickener added is
functionally unnecessary. So, that being the case, why couldn't the
unnecessary thickener be pectin, which, with the small amount of natural
sugar in the oranges, might create just a faintly gelid syrup, slightly
more stable than just canned juice with pulp and peel, until the main
bulk of the sugar is added? Or do you have some other, preferred,
unnecessary thickener ;  )  ?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy