SC - orris/iris root

Angus angus at iamawitch.com
Mon Dec 25 05:49:14 PST 2000

Lady Giulianna Arentino and/or(?) Lady Ottavia Alessandra de Medicini asked:
>  The problem I am
> having is each time that event is advertised in the Blackstar, my information as
> Feast Steward is ALWAYS left out. They have known that I was going to do this
> event for a year,  and I have always upheld my responsibilities in the past
> events.

There could be several reasons for this material being left out. I assume
that the autocrat submitted the announcement to the BlackStar. The BlackStar
is a kingdom newsletters. I believe the leadtime is about two months for
these, which means there is very little you can do along this channel now.
1) Did you give your information to the Autocrat in sufficent time for him
to organise it and get it to the BlackStar?

2) Did the Autocrat trim out the information or did the BlackStar editor
do so? I believe event announcements are limited to two pages (8 5 x 11
inches total) for free. While your group could pay for an additional page,
they may have decided not to. It is often difficult to fit all the wanted
info into this space and include a menu, too.

3) Did you mean they just left off your name and contact info? That is
usually a good idea to include so folks can call with questions and
reservations if the headcook is the one handling that. This may simply
not have occured to the Autocrat.

4) Did you ever discuss with the Autocrat your wish to get specific info
into the event announcements? Usually by the time the event is this
close we will usually have had two or three group meetings of those
involved with the event.

I highly recommend the creation of webpages to act as a more
comprehensive info source than what can be squeezed into the one or
two pages in the BlackStar. You can usually get this page linked to
from the 'unofficial' calender on the Ansteorra website.

These can also be quickly added to as needed and often folks can't
find their BlackStar when needed, or it is late as it has been a
few times recently. In that case, the web is often where folks go to get
such info.

> I am getting a little bit irritated that this keeps happening, as it
> is one of the only sources of recognition.  Here is the question, the event is
> thirty days and I really want to throw in the towel.  What would you do?

Stick with it. Quiting now hurts you and hurts the folks expecting
to get a good meal from you. I would:
1) Work on getting a webpage setup which includes the info you wanted
to get out there, menu, contact names, cost, reservation info etc.

2) Get some single page flyers written up and put them at the gate
tables (this isn't always allowed. check with the person in charge
of gate) of upcoming events. You don't have to do this yourself, ask
around your group and see who is going to what events in the next
few weeks and ask them to do it.

3) Post announcements to your local mail list (if you have one), your
regional list (I think all Ansteorra regions have one) and as someone
else mentioned the Ansteorra announce list. If you do the later, I
would not also post to the regional list as I think that is included
automatically with Ansteoorra announce. One or two announcements on
this list is enough.

Make sure to include your webpage address in numbers 2 and 3.
- --
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net