SC - Treacle? - (long)

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Tue Dec 26 17:54:15 PST 2000

At 09:17 AM 12/26/00 +0000,Brigid said something like:
> > Maggie MacDonald wrote:
> > > Just what the heck is a treacle well that I have seen references to?
>
>What I didn't know, until I went looking on the web for a copy of the
>text, was
>that there *is* a treacle well.  It doesn't contain real treacle, of course,
>but it is called the treacle well.  It is beside a small English church near
>Oxford, is associated with St. Frideswide, and is reputed to have healing
>powers.  And Lewis Carroll is known to have seen it.
>http://www.bath.ac.uk/~liskmj/wellsweb/wellsmsc/well1999.htm
>
>Brighid, .sigless in VT, but still fully equipped with trivia

Yes, thats the treacle well I was referring to. I probably first ran across
it in one of those medieval murder mysteries that I'm so fond of (I don't
remember which series, but it seems to me one of them is set at or near St.
Frideswide).

So, why would they call a regular (but stinky) water well a treacle well?

Hmmmm.
Thank you though!!
Maggie MacD.