SC - Buying lamb

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 27 11:30:19 PST 2000

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

>  If you want to cook a feast, declare a household event and
> invite your friends.  Fancy lunch at a tournament or a house revel with feast,
> something where you don't need the OK of the local no-'bility.   Show'em how
> it's done right.

A few years ago I did something like that- put on a private dinner for
six- a group of friends and the Crown of a neighboring Kingdom (at a
War- it made for good schtick). I wanted to try out some of the stuff I
was working with it the meals & manners books- how to lay the
tablecloths, carve for your lord, etc. It worked really well- and it
looked so cool...

I do period meals in camp, and at the least, invite several friends over
for Saturday dinner. It is a good chacne to try out recipes, work on
portioning, get a real grasp of timing and things like that. And friends
usually don't complain about eating mistakes ;-)

I don't do feasts. Period. End of statement. I know my limitations. I do
small dinners though, and have a reputation for feeding dinner guests
rather well. Seumas started out as head cook for the Prince's retinue a
while back (though he has lots of mundane experience). Start small.
Maybe if you have enough parties with people stumbling back to their
pavilions full of really yummy period food, Those In Charge will take
notice. And if not- who cares- you'll have lots of happy friends!

'Lainie